GUNFLINT TRAIL VOLUNTEER FIRE DEPARTMENT
Community InformationEvacuation Procedures
The following information is for Gunflint Trail residents and visitors and is provided by the Gunflint Trail Fire Department and Cook County: If you choose to evacuate your property/camping area PRIOR to an official evacuation (if/should one be necessary) please follow these steps:
- Call (218) 387-3637 and follow the automated instructions.
- You will be asked to give your name and names of others going with you, where you are coming from and where you are going.
- This information will be recorded by Cook County Public Health and Human Services Staff to help track evacuees and answer calls from others interested in your safety and whereabouts.
- If you are a property owner around the fire zone the Gunflint Trail Fire Department INSTRUCTS you to:
- Remain calm.
- Leave the power and outside lights on; turn off propane to the house or cabin at the tank.
- Attach a written note to the door, or leave on the table in the cabin with date, time, and who evacuated and where you are heading.
- Leave your cabin locked.
- Take your pets with you, unless directed otherwise.
- Take your medications with you.
- Tie a white cloth/towel/sheet on your blue street address sign to signify that you are gone. (When there is more than one sign on a post, tie the cloth around your sign number.)
- Drive carefully with your headlights on!
- Bring at least the following items in your Evacuation Kit
- Prescription medications in ORIGINAL BOTTLES
- Eyeglasses, contacts and solution/equipment
- Special equipment/medical supplies for infants, elderly or people with special needs, (such as oxygen, nebulizers, wheelchair, cane, diapers, formula, etc)
- Important documents, (living wills, birth certificates, social security cards, other forms of identification, etc)
- Phone numbers of out of area contacts
- Personal care items/change of clothing
- Pets: supplies/records/medications
- What to do during a fire event
- Evacuation FAQ
- Cautionary/Voluntary Evacuation Information
- Voluntary Evacuation Information from the Gunflint Trail Volunteer Fire Department (PDF)
Call 911 for emergency assistance.